Cheap Websites – Canned vs Quality
Craigslist if full of dirt cheap websites, websites anywhere from $99-$299, and they all promise a great turnaround time. These type of websites are termed “Canned” websites, as in ready right out of the can. But are they worthwhile and will they work for you? After all, getting the best deal on a website can help with other costs when starting or running a business.
Let me give you a little more information about canned websites and then we can draw some conclusions. Canned websites or template themes are available at places like Elegant Themes or Themeforest. Some times the person advertising them with ask for the basics like your logo, images, and text; and put it all together for you into the template theme. Other times, they simply sell the theme by itself.
If you know how to install WordPress hosting on your server, then installing a theme is a pretty simple process. Most WordPress themes have fairly basic options, such as the ability to upload a logo, and choose your theme color. Other advanced options might include setting up menus and maybe an image slider. From there, all you need to do is write your content and publish the pages to your site. And if everything goes according to plan, you can have a canned website up and running in a few days.
All good right? Well there are several other considerations to take into account.
- How important is a unique website to you?
- Are you technically minded or do issues with your computer make you have to get a new one, because the last “technical issue” you had resulted in it being thrown the stairs?
- Is the lowest priced website your main motivation?
- Do you need additional functionality like a shopping cart?
- Learning how to use the Canned theme so that your theme looks like their demo theme can take weeks.
- Your new website may not do everything you want it to do, and there is no way to change that.
- Your Website will look very similar to someone else’s.
- Some WordPress plugins just wont work with your theme.
- You may still get frustrated and throw your computer down the stairs.